Seaside resort of Lignano
The memory of Lignano prior to April 11, 1903, the date of the founding of the first bathing establishment, as he traces the ancient maps, which indicate the Lignano peninsula as a small physical presence territorial, geographic and political space of the Republic of Venice.
From 1600 until the beginning of 1900, the peninsula is formed, proceeding from the sea inland from un'arenile of variable amplitude, by a series of dunes, called "motte" or "motteroni", covered by extensive and thick pine forest. Only a small area, very limited action and was subject to human life ; towards the lagoon there were fish farms , with accommodations very poor from the point of view of production and sanitation . Also there were some pastures in the margin of the areas where the pine forest was thicker. The ability to input the peninsula was somewhat problematic. It was reached through sand bars , small paths on the banks of the Tagliamento , alternatively by the lagoon by means of barges .
In 1420 with the fall of the Patriarchate of Aquileia, Lignano passed under the rule of the Venetian Republic , which gives it as a fief to several noble families, one of which , the Vendramin family, a descendant of Doge Andrea bind significantly to the territory of the Land of Tea, making you build, among other things, in the second half of the 500 church San Zaccaria according to population stable, fluctuating as that of fishermen and boatmen.
The opening of access to the Adriatic Sea becomes Lignano, with its small marina, an outpost of the fortress of Marano, the keystone of the Venetian rule of the Adriatic. Lignano will remain for years, "Land of the Endowed", then an integral part of military property in Venice, directly administered by the Council of Ten. A historical quotation tells us that in the first decade of 1800, the peninsula will live a short period of war between Napoleonic France and England.
At the beginning of '900 was inaugurated the first bathing establishment, but these was completely destroyed after the defeat of Caporetto, by the Austrians, in November 1917. After the end of the First World War witnessed a strong driving force for the life of the new seaside resort. Lignano expands and begin the so-called mass holidays. The protagonists of this revival will be, among others, the Dopolavoro Provinciale di Milano, the Provincial Federation of Fascist Bolzano and of Udine and you will set the stage for a competition for the construction of a large colony for minors.
They take so start projects of leading architects in Udine, marked by new forms of rationalism and modernism. Among these stands out the architect Pietro Zanini , whose project I will be realized in 1939 and named after Costanzo Ciano (Ge.Tur. area). But it will be the Second World War that will start many private projects that urbanize Lignano Pineta and Lignano Riviera. It will always be at the end of the Second World War that the new entity EFA, made in 1946 with the purpose of childcare and youth, will promote relevant social solidarity projects. The EFA will detect the establishment in 1947, former colony for children, and turn it into a center for refugees and former prisoners of war. Under the energetic action of Archbishop Fresh this first center will be expanded and, thanks to the generosity of many people, you addiverrà the building of the colony of Saint Pius X, Le Vele, Youth House, the Holiday House Santa Maria del Mare and in 1983 the Living Seashell.
The region in 1991 will change the legal nature of EFA since 1995 and the management will go to the Cooperative GE.TUR. In 2000 the entire complex of Lignano Sabbiadoro-Ge.Tur. will be completed with the construction of a swimming pool and a sports hall Olympics. The interior sports will be further complemented by sports fields, multi-purpose, water games and outdoor swimming pools.
Mountain town plans Luzza
With a donation made to the parish of Forni Avoltri in January of 1946 kicks off for about Monsignor Fresh initiative that promotes the establishment of a colony used to house the poor, veterans returned needy care. The initiative takes the form of a donation of three large wooden pavilions located in plans Luzza. For subsequent acts become part of the assets of the Parish of Forni Avoltri also one hectare of land at the foot of Mount Chiadin, a meeting point between the Carnic Alps and Cadore. Here you will spend their holidays many people in need, and many children of Friuli. The Village will grow again and will be continually modernized. Already in 1959 will be 5 the imposing buildings to house people on low incomes and large colonies for children. This social fervor that translates into major building works and hospitable causes July 9, 1955 the Cardinal of Venice, the future Pope John XXIII, was induced to visit the site and spend with the children and guests a short stay.
Today Plans Luzza alive its tourist seasons in both summer and winter. Remained the quiet place ever for kids and families... a place where one can still dream with your eyes closed, reliving the seasons passed, assessing the present and, perhaps, hope for a better future.